Level of Difficulty: Some Experience
I grabbed this recipe from the UK produced version of Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat
. It's very light and tasty. Mum's Carrot-Tofu DishIngredients
- 8-13 centimeter rectangles of usu-age tofo (or thin fried tofu)
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp sake
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 5 medium carrots cut julienne
- 1/4 cup toasted and ground white sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oilInstructions
- Bring water to boil in a small sauce pan.
- Add usu-age tofu and simmer over heat turning every so often for one minute.
- After one minute, remove from heat and drain to remove excess oils.
- Cut usu-age tofu diagonally in half and slice each half into strips.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, sake, soy and salt in a small bowl. Stir until all liquid.
- Heat rapeseed oil is large frying pan. Add carrots and usu-age tofu. Saute until carrots are tender, yet crisp (about three minutes).
- Reduce heat and add soy mixture. Cook carrots and tofu for 2 more minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds and drizzle sesame seed oil over top.
Now, place in bento and enjoy! :]